Ripple’s tagline, One Frictionless Experience to Send Money Globally, has truly been implemented by the company, helping it rise to a top position in the cryptocurrency community that other platforms can only envy. Ripple prides itself as being the platform to help connect financial providers such as banks to make transactions easy and speedy.
Although nearly all cryptocurrencies designate themselves as asset class, Ripple’s global approach and unique association with financial institutions such as American Express have won it many foes. For example, those with libertarian political leanings and those who believe in the decentralized ethos anchored in Bitcoin have labeled Ripple as the cryptocurrency for banks.
The unique design, approach, multiple applications and positioning of Ripple in the industry makes its native coins, XRP, among the most sought-after cryptocurrencies.
To become part of Ripple and enjoy its associated benefits such as speedy transactions and expected growth in value, you need to join its platform. This post explores the main methods of how to buy Ripple cryptocurrency.
What is Ripple?
Ripple started in 2012 as a real-time gross settlement system (RTGS), remittance, and currency exchange network – all packaged under a cryptocurrency platform. The founders, Chris Larsen and Jed McCaleb, contend that the “current payment rails don’t cut” (as expressed on the Ripple website) because they were designed before the Internet era.
The debate on whether Ripple is fully decentralized or not continues to rage with no sign of ending. The Ripple platform is controlled by several financial institutions (including Australia-based bank, Westpac, and Canada-based bank, RBC) and Ripple Labs. These financial institutions wield significant control in the operation of Ripple.
Ripple has grown significantly since inception to become the third most-valued cryptocurrency according to the Coinmarketcap.com. On October 10, 2018, the market capitalization of XRP was nearly $18 billion at a price of $0.4485.
As more companies such as UK-based FairFX, Georgia-based UniPAY, and Malaysia-based MoneyMatch enter into partnerships with Ripple, the value of XRP is expected to trend upward. Therefore, now is a good opportunity to buy XRP and to expect solid returns.
How to Buy XRP Today
Ripple, like other cryptocurrencies, is traded on the cryptocurrency exchanges. However, the first step should be acquiring an appropriate wallet to store the digital coins after the purchase process is completed. Here are the top Ripple wallets to consider when deciding how to buy XRP.
- Ledger Nano S (hardware wallet)
- Toast Wallet (desktop wallet)
- CoinPayments (online wallet)
- Exarpy (offline wallet)
- Edge (mobile wallet)
Once you have the right wallet, the next step is to select the trading platforms that list XRP and join them. The following are instructions on how to buy XRP from the top exchanges: Bittrex, Changelly, and Kraken.
How to Buy Ripple Coin at Kraken
The Kraken exchange was created in 2011 by Jesse Powell and launched in September 2013. It has become a popular trading platforms because of its easy-to-use interface and good security features.
Since its launch, Kraken has not experienced hacking security breaches even as other exchanges that launched around the same time such as Poloniex have suffered regular attacks. Kraken’s hack-free history reassures users that the tokens they hold on the exchange are safe.
One of Kraken’s unique aspects is that it supports fiat currencies. Unlike other exchanges such as Binance and Bittrex that only allow the use of digital coins, Kraken is different because users can buy digital coins with fiat currencies.
Here are the main steps to buying XRP at Kraken:
- Visit Kraken’s website at https://www.kraken.com/signup to create a user account and verify it using an email address. This level of verification is referred to as Tier-1.
- Verify the account by navigating to Account>Get Verified on the Kraken website. If you want to buy XRP using fiat such as wire transfer, a Tier-2 level verification will be required. This requires giving additional info such as name, address and phone number.
- If you want Tier-3 level verification, additional information including proof of residence and government-issued photo ID is required.
- Once the account has been set, you need to deposit funds into it. This can be done by navigating to the deposit section and selecting the preferred method of deposit such as wire transfer, credit cards, prepaid cards, or cryptocurrencies.
- Place an order to buy XRP by visiting Account>Trade>New Order and picking the right currency pair. For example, if you select XRP/USD, clicking “Buy” means that you are buying XRP using USD.
This video is a demonstration of how to buy ripple at Kraken:
Note that buying XRP will attract a fee based on the volume under consideration. As the buyer, the highest fee is 0.26%, which is charged when you buy less than US$50,000. This fee can go down to 0.10% if you buy more than US$10,000,000.
How to Buy Ripple Coins at Binance
Binance is a cryptocurrency exchange created in July 2017 with the aim of helping to simplify the trading of digital currencies. When the founders, Yi He and Changpeng Zhao, unveiled the exchange, they also released a native coin referred to as BNB.
To trade on Binance exchange, the fee is 0.1% of the traded volume. However, you can cut the transaction fee by 25% if you pay with BNB.
Another advantage of using Binance is the opportunity to invest in new assets that are released through ICOs (initial coin offerings). By July 2018, Binance had facilitated more than 900 million airdrops and fork ICOs.
Before setting out to buy XRP at Binance, it is important to appreciate that only other digital coins can be used. Therefore, you need to have digital coins such as Bitcoin or Ethereum.
The following are the main steps for buying XRP Binance:
- Visit the Binance website https://www.binance.com/register.html to register for an account. Then, verify it by providing additional info such as proof of location and phone number.
- Fund your account. As a centralized trading platform, users are required to fund them using other digital assets. You can do this by navigating to the “Funds” section of the Binance website and following the “Deposits” option.
Binance will generate a public address that you should use to send funds from your wallet. For example, if you want to deposit Bitcoins from a Ledger Nano S wallet, the public address generated by the Binance account should be used as the receiver address.
- Select the right cryptocurrency pair and execute a Ripple buy order. If you want to buy XRP with Bitcoin, search for XRP/BTC pair on the Binance platform. Then click “Buy”.
The XRP you have purchased will go to the Binance account. This means that you will be required to withdraw from the Binance account to your wallet. Since you are the only one with the private keys to the wallet, it is considered more secure compared with the exchanges.
The following video is a demonstration of how to purchase Ripple cryptocurrency on Binance:
How to Buy Ripple Cryptocurrency at Changelly
Changelly is a popular cryptocurrency exchange created in 2013 to help grow the blockchain niche by supporting the purchase of digital coins using multiple methods. Using Changelly, you can buy XRP with other coins, credit cards, and prepaid cards.
People prefer the Changelly exchange because it lists many digital assets and the user interface is intuitive. However, its transaction fee of 0.5% is rather high compared with other exchanges such as Binance that charge less than 0.1%.
For traders who want to use prepaid cards or debit cards to buy Ripple, the transaction fee is 3.99%.
The following are the main steps to follow to buy XRP at Changelly:
- Register for a Changelly account at the Changelly website. You will be required to verify the account using an email address.
- Create your profile on the Changelly account and select the coin to buy. In this case, the target coin is XRP. You also will need to select the amount to use to buy Ripple coins.
- Confirm the order. This step will provide you with the approximated time that it will take for the coins to reach your account.
- If you want to pay for Ripple coins using a credit card or prepaid card, you will be prompted to add the CVC details. You also can select a different method of payment such as other coins.
- Receive your XRP on the selected Ripple wallet.
The following video demonstrates how to purchase Ripple cryptocurrency on Changelly:
The Final Take
As Ripple continues drawing interest and support, experts and the crypto community agree that its value is likely to continue to grow. Therefore, you should not hesitate to acquire native XRP coins.
How to purchase Ripple cryptocurrency should be informed by the transaction fee and whether you want to use fiat or cryptocurrencies. It is also crucial to pick a secure platform to avoid losing the coins through hacking attacks.
Remember also to use the best practices of cryptocurrency trading such as buying when the price is low and moving the coins to a cold storage immediately after the purchase.